Tuesday 11 September 2012

Creeper Confessions


Darlings, I'm sorry I took so long. My computer decided to break so I had to use a school spare, which had none of my documents/files/images on it, meaningI couldn't post until I got my one back. Also, because I took so long to put this thing up, the date changed and now I have to say a huge, heartfelt Happy Birthday to Bryce Courtenay! I love you, you unfairly talented man. But not in that way. 
Now for the actual post: 

Who's the best author ever? Do I hear Shakespeare? Tolkien? Rowling? Austen(blame my friend. I don't agree)? The Bronte Sisters? Victor Hugo? All the guys who wrote the Bible? Tolstoy? WRONG! I kid, I kid. I suppose it's really just a matter of opinion and, don't get me wrong,  I absolutely love all the people in that list, but... (there's always a but) they're not the best author ever... 
Terry Pratchett is! Now, if you've never heard of him please go and die in a small, shallow, muddy, e-coli filled hole. Not really. Just read on. If you have heard of him, then you know what I'm talking about. But read on anyway.
He has written thirty-something books and is still going strong. Sadly I don't own them all, but I'm working on it. Now, normally you'd think that an author who churns out at least one book a year would be pretty average, right? Terry Pratchett is the exception that proves the rule. All his books are absolutely phenomenal, especially his Discworld series, and impossible to describe. They are full of witty humour that also makes you think. His characters are complex and loveable. I should be his agent. 
(If only I owned all these)
Anyway, you need to go and read one. Stop reading this blog, turn your computer or other reading device off, run to your nearest library, direct yourself towards the 'PR' section of adult fiction, grab the first one by him you see, sit down in the middle of the shelves and read. Just read. Ignore the weird looks from other library-goers, tell the mildly irate librarian just what they can do with their closing hours and simply enjoy one of the thirty something best books in the world. 
Now that you've finished your first Terry Pratchett book and borrowed every single other one that your library possessed, you're now back, reading this blog and thanking me for recommending these life changing books. Basically they're the best things ever. 

But (there it is again!) there's a bit of a sad side as well :(. You see, Terry is the same age as my grandfather (i.e young-old-old) but he also has Alzheimer's. Ironically the first thing he forgot was the position of the keys on the keyboards. So he now has a typist, but his books continue to abso-bally-lutely spiffing. He's pro-euthenasia and I think (but this is just my personal opinion, not fact- just assumption) that if his condition deteriorates much further he may choose that option, rather than live as a burden on his friends and family. Choose to leave on a high note, with all the good memories in clear reach. I would be most upset if that were to happen, yet I understand and would respect his decision. 
This post has deteriorated a tad since I started, gone a little bit off the rails and ended up being a cry-sesh. But overall, PLEASE go and read a Terry Pratchett book. Change your life, appreciate him for  the wonder he is (dun dun dun dun). 
For all you fellow geeks out there, word of the week is:
Fecund:
Being able to bear fruit or offspring. i.e fertile
Notice how I've actually chosen a word with some use this week? I mean, whats the use of knowing abulia?

Have a nice century, enjoy whatever you're doing now, read a good book and kiss a member of what ever gender you are attracted to . 
So long/farewell/auf weidershen/goodbye
love Confession

P.S Am I the only one who whenever I an emphasis on 'need' instantly think Ronald Weasley?



2 comments:

  1. Brilliant Confession, totally brilliant! I love this blog.

    Firejay112
    "Master of fire and bluejays"

    LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Firejay112!

    Also, this is like a blog appendix I guess.... I literally (1 minute ago) just bought 'Dodger' and it hasn't even been released yet! asdfghjkkj :)

    ReplyDelete