Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Pixar Philosophy


I like libraries. This is partly because I like books, partly because I like having a quiet place to work and partly because they make me feel like I have some important things to get done (the reality is that I spend my "working time" in the library mucking around with the free WiFi). 

Anyway, today I had the delightful pleasure of being in a library, and the less-delightful misfortune of discovering that the WiFi didn't work. "Holy crapbiscuits!" I thought to myself. "What am I going to do?!"

I am, naturally, a creative person. However I struggled to think of something, anything to do in this library without internet access... when suddenly, in a blaze of clarity and realisation, I underwent an epiphany. 
I COULD READ A BOOK!

The library I was in happened to be a bit...weird. The shelf immediately behind me had books in no apparent order, ranging from a history of the stiletto heel to an analysis of multicultural foods. But after scoping out all the nearby shelves, I found a stack of books on comics, cartoons and animations, and stumbled across this glossy beauty: 



"Pixarpedia- a complete guide to the world of Pixar... and beyond!" 

I'm a Disney/Pixar kid through and through. These are the films I grew up with, and they're dear to me- as evidenced by the stacks of memorabilia scattered around my house, including my "Toy Story Toothbrush" and giant pad of Wall-e stickers. To a kid like me, this book is pretty damn awesome. Its pages are a brightly coloured treasure trove of all things Pixar. So today's post is a nice little list of things I've learned about Pixar and their Films. 

1. They're linked to Apple, Inc. Steve Jobs originally bought the Pixar's "parent company". Yanno EVE, that weird white robot from 'Wall-e'?


Yep, that's the one!

 Notice how she looks like an iPod? That's because Johnny Ive-the senior vice-president of industrial design at Apple- designed her. Yes, it's true Ladies and Gents, Apple really are taking over the world. 

2. Woody, from Toy Story, is actually in love with the Bo Peep Doll. I had no idea (of course, it's been a while since I watched the first film). According to the book "... when Woody looks into her baby-blue eyes, he's lost for words". Deep thoughts for a plastic doll. Very deep indeed.


3. Pixar reference everything. Every Pixar movie you can think of has shout-outs to different films, shorts and characters. In Up, the ball from Luxo can be seen in a little girl's bedroom. In Monsters, Inc. Boo has a Nemo toy, and the fish mobile from the Dentist's office in Finding Nemo also features in Boo's bedroom. In Wall-e, the scooter from Ratatouille can be seen in a rubbish dump. You get the point. Watching Pixar is like going on a magic carpet ride of referencing. 

4. Pixar make fabbity-fabroozle short films. No, seriously, they're fantastic. Lots of them are silent, but don't let that put you off, because they are stunning. This one- Partly Cloudy- is probably my personal favourite.







Well, I suppose that's all from me (it's late at night and I ought to be sleeping).
Off you trot, and watch some Pixar for me!



PS: Did you notice this lady in the first scene of the film? 



Remind you of anyone? Maybe ELASTIGIRL from the Incredibles? And doesn't that baby look like Dash from the same movie? Like I said, magic carpet ride of referencing :) QED

No comments:

Post a Comment